The highly anticipated film The Avengers kicks off the official start of Hollywood’s blockbuster Summer. With many analysts predicting perhaps the largest opening ever at the box office, we’re wondering if perhaps this star studded mega movie is being overhyped. So, we scoured the net for reviews and opinions to hopefully remedy our doubts.
- “As screenwriter, sharer of story credit with Zak Penn and director, Whedon is the key reason why this $220-million behemoth of a movie is smartly thought out and executed with verve and precision.” - Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
- “Much of this battle takes place in midtown Manhattan, where the neatest sequences involve Loki’s ginormous slithering, undulating snake-lizard-dragon machine, which seems almost to have a mind of its own and is backed up by countless snakelings. At one point, an Avenger flies into the mouth of this leviathan and penetrates its entire length, emerging at the business end. You won’t see that in ‘The Human Centipede.’ ” — Roger Ebert, The Chicago Sun Times
- “Like a superior, state-of-the-art model built from reconstituted parts, Joss Whedon’s buoyant, witty and robustly entertaining superhero smash-up is escapism of a sophisticated order.” — Justin Chang, Variety
- “Audiences have been eagerly anticipating this first all-hero extravaganza for years. The wait was worth it.” — Claudia Puig, USA Today
- “The light, amusing bits cannot overcome the grinding, hectic emptiness, the bloated cynicism that is less a shortcoming of this particular film than a feature of the genre.” — A.O. Scott, The New York Times
Who’s going to see The Avengers this weekend? Discuss your thoughts and reviews with us on Twitter!
Oscar-Winning New York Film Academy Faculty Vanessa Roth Invites Students to Exclusive Benefit Preview of American Teacher, narrated by Matt Damon
Oscar-winning filmmaker Vanessa Roth has opened up seats for the New York Film Academy community for the exclusive benefit preview of her soon to be huge new doc, American Teacher. The film is narrated by Matt Damon and co-produced by Dave Eggers, Pulitzer Prize Finalist for ‘A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.”
American Teacher weaves interviews of policy experts and startling facts with the lives and careers of four teachers, telling the collective story of the 3.2 million teachers who spend every day in classrooms across our country. Dave Egger’s related Op-Ed article “The High Cost of Low Teacher Salaries,” co-written by producer Nínive Clements Calegari, was New York Times most emailed article during the week of April 30, 2011.
Oscar-Winning Actor Matt Damon (Invictus) narrates American Teacher.
New York Film Academy Documentary Conservatory students will attend Roth’s workshop on ethics in filmmaking held at NYFA’s Union Square campus on May 26th. Immediately following the workshop, students will travel with Vanessa to the premiere, which will include a talkback with Vanessa, Dave, and the film’s stars.
Though tickets for the event cost up to $1,000, NYFA students and faculty have been offered tickets for the $20 price per ticket. Tickets May 26th screening and Q&A can be ordered off the Skirball Center website by clicking here.